Spirituality leads to greater relaxation.....and the more relaxed you are the deeper and more rewarding your spiritual life is.
Spirituality has many definitions, but at its core spirituality helps to give our lives context. For many, spirituality takes the form of religious observance, prayer, meditation or a belief in a higher power. For others, it can be found in nature, music, art or a secular community. Spirituality is different for everyone. For others, spirituality arises from your connection with yourself and with others, the development of your personal value system, and your search for meaning in life.
Spirituality and spiritual practices often lead to greater relaxation and reduced stress It can help you:
- Feel a sense of purpose. Cultivating your spirituality may help uncover what's most meaningful in your life. By clarifying what's most important, you can focus less on the unimportant things and eliminate stress.
- Connect to the world. The more you feel you have a purpose in the world, the less solitary you feel — even when you're alone. This can lead to a valuable inner peace during difficult times.
- Release control. When you feel part of a greater whole, you realize that you aren't responsible for everything that happens in life. You can share the burden of tough times as well as the joys of life's blessings with those around you.
- Expand your support network. Whether you find spirituality in a church, mosque or synagogue, in your family, or in nature walks with a friend, this sharing of spiritual expression can help build relationships.
- Lead a healthier life. People who consider themselves spiritual appear to be better able to cope with stress and heal from illness or addiction faster.
When you are deeply relaxed, at alpha brain wave level, both hemispheres of the brain work together and your communication with your subconscious mind is stronger. You are in a relaxed wakeful state, still aware of your surroundings, but you are able to learn more easily, your subconscious is more open to suggestion, your imagination is heightened and your spiritual connection is also stronger. You are better able to receive guidance, and you are better able to pray effectively. You can get into alpha state through meditating, daydreaming, doing a favorite hobby, listening to relaxing music, and other ways.
The opposite of relaxation is stress. Stress is resistance to life and pulls you away from your true Self, out of your balance and well-being and, as we all know, creates untold physical and emotional problems, altering our behaviors and wreaking havoc in our lives. Relaxing is allowing life to be. Through relaxing, you can achieve your goals in a more beneficial, powerful way. It is one of the best ways to love yourself.
Give yourself time everyday to be a human BE-ing instead of a human DO-ing and just allow life and thoughts to go on without you while you relax. You'll find a deeper sense of purpose, a stronger sense of connection, and a deeper spiritual life no matter what form of spirituality you practice.